Tuesday 3 February 2009

Snow!

At last, snow in Saltash. All day yesterday I was feeling quite deprived, listening and watching the reports from all over, but nothing here at all. Late, very late, last night there was a slight dusting of snow - I missed its arrival, but it was there when I took Ty out for his last walk. This morning I was due for a session in the Resource Centre in Liskeard, and had decided that it would be perfectly feasible. Got up, looked out of the window, everything much as the night before, had a quick shower and looked out of the window again to a total whiteout! It only lasted half an hour or so, but it was long enough for me to cancel Liskeard, and for all the kids to be sent home from the community school. They've been wandering about a bit at a loss, really, because there wasn't enough snow for anything useful.

After it stopped I piled all the outdoor gear on and took Ty down through the coombe to the creek. By this time the sun was shining, the sky was blue, and it all looked quite attractive. Especially down at the creek, where a gang of a dozen or so swans was milling about. A man in mittens was trying to photograph them, but they weren't being very photogenic, as they were all extremely interested in something edible on the far bank, and all he could see was a row of wriggly tails.

I had thought it was all going to improve this afternoon, but we have just had another flurry of heavy snow - only ten minutes or so, but enough to make it quite slippery underfoot, judging by the occasional passer-by. The Leisure Centre is closed, too, so I can't even go and run round there or even have a paddle, which was what I was planning for later.

No comments: