Sunday 1 March 2009

Wild(ish) Weekend in Milton Keynes

The long awaited Milton Keynes Weekend finally arrived - and was over in a flash. All that remains is the warm glow of good fellowship and plans to "do it again soon", hopefully in less than the seven and a bit years it had been since the last time.



Like all good adventures there were some new experiences on offer. Milton Keynes itself was a place I had never been, chosen for its central location but still a long, long way from Cornwall. Not that I was driving, thank goodness. I have to confess that I didn't explore very much - the biggest shopping centre in Europe was immediately opposite the hotel, and I never even got over the road.


Ikea, now, that was different. I'd never been to Ikea and still would not have done, but there was a Belfast sink to be purchased, so I went along for the adventure. And now I don't have to do it again, ever. I'm afraid that for me it came into the category of "all new experiences are good experiences, even if they teach you nothing but not to do it again".

Bletchley Park was odd - the best bit was the pigeon room. No, the two best bits were the pigeon room and the slate statue of Alan Turing. Oh, no, the three best bits were the pigeons, Alan Turing, and finding an item of furniture (linen basket) in their "wartime home" identical to the one which regularly receives discarded linens for processing in my very own 2009 bedroom!

Apart from all that, there was much drinking and more laughter. Old friends, virtual friends suddenly made flesh, rather too much unsuitable food (this morning I weighed 2kg more than on Thursday), and a serious moment or two to remember those who weren't there and should have been.

To steal a toast from William Topaz McGonagall (who has a few to spare, I'm sure) - Milton Keynes Unoff. May it be remembered for a very, very, very long time.

No comments: