Saturday 13 December 2008

Nature notes again

On Thursday last I took the dog to Latchbrook, where I noticed lots of snowdrops (plants, not flowers). Yesterday I saw some daffodil shoots in the garden (both front and back), so at least some of the 50 bulbs I put in are still alive so far. I was a bit worried, though, because I thought it was way too soon. This morning, however, I observe that there are also daffodil shoots in the coombe, and a few bluebell shoots coming through.

On our way to Churchtown yesterday afternoon we passed a field with some young cattle in it, about thirty or so not quite calves but not yet bullocks or heifers sized. The farmer had put down some feed for them and they were walking all over it. In among their legs an egret was prowling, quite unconcerned for the nearness of muddy hooves and tails, rooting for insects in the hay.

No comments: