Wednesday 3 December 2008

'Wintry' Weather

After a couple of really cold days, yesterday morning appeared to be slightly warmer, wet underfoot instead of frosty as I set out to take the dog to the woods. So, of course, I was oblivious to the big patch of black ice halfway down the steps leading down to the coombe, and landed face down on the concrete. Luckily for me, my face was actually over the edge and I was wearing fleece lined waterproof trousers and jacket (and gloves) so I was mostly unhurt although a little shaken.

I should have known better, of course. The dog had actually slipped in exactly the same spot the day before, landing spreadeagled and looking very shocked. I wasn't holding on to the handrail because it was visibly wet. Ah, well, one lives and learns to be a bit more careful next time. And it gave me the opportunity to make use of the gritting sand the council kindly provided for the community about five years ago, and which has never been used because it hasn't been cold or icy enough since.

Today it was slightly warmer again, here, although the rest of the country is still, I understand, gripped with ice and snow. It was actually very bright, too bright for safety, when I was driving to the resource centre this morning, with the sun low down and the glare from the wet roads.

No comments: