Thursday 11 December 2008

Away Day in the Frozen North (Midlands)

Today was the coldest dawn I can remember since we lived here, and it also happened to be the day we had to drive to Stafford and back to collect the new campervan 'im indoors has bought on eBay.

I walked out of the front door about 7.45am, took two steps and slid the rest of the way to the fence, in spite of wearing sensible walking boots. From there I held on very tight along the path and down the steps, from where I was in the woods and walking on non slippy stuff. A gentle rain was falling, which was freezing as it hit the ground, so by the time we got back half an hour later it was quite icy everywhere.

We spent ten minutes or so de-icing the monster truck before we could start off - and then, of course, we had extreme difficulty getting it to the top of the hill. Down the other side and over the bridge was easier, although I was glad I wasn't driving at that time. Once we got on to the main road it was quiet and peaceful, light traffic and easy driving, so we made pretty good time up the motorway, although Miss TomTom chose to take us the scenic route for the last bit, down the quiet country lanes which were still frozen and quite slidery.

The campervan was good, the deal was done, we came back in convoy (slowly) as far as Strensham, where Ron and I had sausages and mash and a cup of tea, then I took the monster truck and the dog home and left him to follow on at Transit van speed...

When I got home I expected the dog to want to go straight off for a walk, but he insisted on going into the house. Once there, he inspected all the rooms (looking for his Best Pal) then had a whimper and sat on the stairs, quite depressed. I had a cup of tea. Some three quarters of an hour later, he heard Ron arriving and jumped up and down until I let him out to meet him. THEN he wanted a walk, all excitement, so I took him past the Big Tree and up behind Cowdray until we heard a Transit manoeuvering, whereupon he stopped stock still, then turned round and ran home. I could have told him that the van we heard was up on St Stephens, but he wasn't risking losing his Best Pal again! Dogs is weird, is all I can say.

Other weird things today: Over the road there is a garden with a camellia in bloom (well it's got two flowers on). I saw a field full of sheep with lambs just this side of Exeter on the way up this morning. I saw a blackbird bathing in the stream when I took the dog down the creek this morning. And I saw a buzzard flying low across the motorway with a rat in its talons, also on the way up the motorway this morning.

Enough odd stuff. Time for bed!

No comments: