Tuesday 29 July 2008

Can you hear me now?

Yesterday morning, only a matter of seven weeks since I first asked our GP to refer him to the hospital and two weeks since his hearing test, Ron was fitted with his hearing aids.

The programming took an hour and looked quite complicated - but was all done on a computer screen, without even having to ask him how sounds felt/sounded. Against the audiologist's advice (he said get used to them gradually) Ron insisted on wearing them home on the bus, and was fascinated that he could hear the engine accelerating and the gears engaging. By the time we got home, though, he had had enough and had to have them out and go for a lie down.

I am very impressed with the speed and efficiency of this service. All that remains now is for him to actually use them; I know several of his contemporaries who either don't wear them at all or only in selected circumstances. I know he's going to find it difficult to get used to them, but for my sake as well as his I hope he perseveres.

No comments: