Saturday 19 July 2008

Mowing at Churchtown

A better sort of day, today; sunny and breezy and bright. The visibility is so good that from the top of the hill, on the way to Churchtown, I could see right across Dartmoor in one direction and across Bodmin Moor in the other! They were mowing the meadows at Churchtown, and there were lots of swallows wheeling about above the tractor catching the disturbed insects. In one of the other fields I tried to work out from the height of the swallows what the weather was going to be like, but they were flying very high and swooping down almost to the grass, so it is obviously going to be a bit mixed. I got my first horsefly bite of the season - on my left elbow, where I couldn't even swat it away. Actually I did attempt to swat it - an automatic reaction - but quickly remembered why I couldn't.

No comments: