Friday 4 July 2008

Grey Wagtails update

Down at the creek this morning I saw both grey wagtail adults and two fledglings, all happily pottering about in the mud and chattering to each other. The babies weren't begging at all, but seemed quite happy foraging for themselves. I had another collie and owner with me, and the birds were quite happy to ignore not just the humans standing still admiring them but also the dogs bounding about and splashing quite close.

I wonder who was responsible for the naming of wagtails? Why should it be that pied wagtails are grey, grey wagtails are yellow and yellow wagtails are, well, just a bit yellower?

Talking of yellow birds, there were two greenfinches in my garden yesterday evening. One adult male and one juvenile - not begging, just quietly confident with the seed feeders and the peanuts. It makes me happy to see adults bringing their young to my tiny garden patch; perhaps we will get a greater variety in the future...

No comments: