Sunday 15 June 2008

Greenfinch in my Garden!

Yesterday I wasn't sure, as I only caught a back glimpse as she flew away, but today I am certain; a female greenfinch is using the new posh bird feeder! That makes sparrows, blackbirds (mostly on the ground) magpies, jackdaws, wood pigeon patrolling for rejected seeds and one greenfinch! Word must be getting round...

There's a new plant in my garden, too. Apart from finally identifying the big red bush that is so attractive to bees and sparrows (jasminum beesianum) I have been given two cuttings of aeonium arboretum, a weird looking succulent with a rosette of almost black leaves at the top of a bare stem. My little jasmine cutting is growing apace, and the bits of ivy I stuck in at the base of the wall are all going strong. Last night I experimentally tried sellotaping them to the wall - if the sellotape lasts long enough for them to realise there's a wall behind them, perhaps they will start to cover it.

No comments: