Wednesday 4 June 2008

New Bird Feeder

The new bird feeding station arrived today. It has three hooks for hanging feeders from, a bird bath and a feeding tray, all on a long pole with a spike, and arrived in a small cardboard box for self assembly. I was supposed to be on my way to the Royal Cornwall Show to help set up, but I just had to put it all together and get it up before I left, in between laminating stuff I had to take.

'Im indoors helped me to stick it in the ground and anchor it to a fence post and it appears to rise up out of a bush, which is quite attractive. I can actually see it from the kitchen window without having to climb on the counter top, as well. I fitted it out with one seed feeder, water in the bath and some nice soggy brown bread on the tray, but for the time being I have left the old peanut/seed feeder stack over by the fence as well, as it seems to be quite popular.

I expected it to be ignored for days until they got used to it, but by the time I had come indoors and walked into the kitchen to admire it there was already one male sparrow helping himself to seeds. He then flew off but flew back almost immediately to try to breadcrumbs.

I had to go out then and didn't get back till eight o'clockish, so I don't know what has happened in my absence, although all the bread crumbs have gone - I can't be sure whether the level of seed has gone down much, but I think it has.

I still seem to be getting only sparrows at the feeders. I watched a female blackbird gathering up a mouthful of bread from off the gravel early this morning, and I have seen a male blackbird down there as well, so perhaps we will have a little more variety in the future. I don't mind if it stays exclusively for sparrows, anyway - they are quite fascinating.

No comments: