Sunday 1 June 2008

Happy Birthday, Me!

Today is my 61st birthday. As I strode purposefully down the coombe this morning, carrying a stick but only because it's quite treacherously slippy in places after the recent rain, I reflected on the fact that this is the third spring I have delighted in since the one where I was saying to myself "Make sure you miss nothing - you'll probably never see this again." Not superfit, no, but I am getting around a lot more easily than I was, and I'm still able to enjoy the flora and fauna around me.

On the way back, walking along the stream where it flattens and widens into the creek, I became aware of almost stereophonic birdsong. A blackbird was singing his heart out in a tree about three feet from my right ear, and a song thrush was competing from the top of the fence on the opposite side, about fifteen feet to my left. While I can identify each individually, it was interesting to compare and contrast the two. The blackbird has a richer tone (and is louder) but the thrush seems to have a greater range of high and low notes. Both are beautiful. I am always amazed by the way that birds, who are furiously and busily feeding babies at this time of year, can still find time for a song. While I was standing listening to them, a robin came down to bathe in the stream just at my feet.

No comments: